Saturday, June 17, 2006

Designing with bevels

I've always had a problem when designing beveled glass, how to show the client what it's going to look like.

I would draw it up and use colored pencils to try to give some idea but my artwork never quite captured the beauty of the glass and I always wound up basically asking the client to use his imagination. And it's hard to ask someone to hand you what is sometimes a fairly large sum based on a image in their imagination.

Well, I don't know what other software might get the job done more easily but I use a program called Photo Deluxe along with Photoshop Ltd. That's how I made the image here.

When a piece of beveled glass is installed with the beveled side towards you, the flat surface will, of course be just like any other piece of clear glass, i.e. you'll see what directly in front of you. The upper surface will reflect what below it and the lower surface will reflect what is above it. Likewise the vertical surfaces will reflect accordingly.

More later.

j

http://www.homestudioartglass.com

1 comment:

  1. I always trace in lightly the high edges of the bevel and do as you did, color it somehow to show the piece is a bevel.

    Down East Stained glass

    ReplyDelete